Dr. Alan Sam
Department of Mechanical Engineering
My primary areas of research interest include Microscale and Nanoscale fluid flow and heat transport, Physical chemistry, Molecular dynamics, Nanotechnology and Materials Science. I do research in the field of computational nanofluidics, which consist of studying fluids and their dynamics at nanoscale confinements using atomistic/molecular simulations. I have worked on different problems in nanofluidics that are beneficial in the design and implementation of novel devices that can be used in areas such as water desalination, blue energy harvesting, hydrogen storage, drug delivery, etc. Furthermore, my master's project dealt with synthesis and characterization of polymer nanocomposites for energy harvesting applications. Detailed morphology study of the nanocomposite was conducted by using Atomic Force Microscopy (AFM) and Scanning Electron Microscope (SEM).During my PhD programme in IIT Madras, I had the privilege of collaborating with researchers from acclaimed national and international universities in the likes of Swinburne University of Technology (Australia), TU Delft (Netherlands), RMIT University (Australia) and Amrita University (India). Prior to joining NIE, I worked as a Senior Project Officer at the Centre for Industrial Consultancy and Sponsored Research (IC & SR), IIT Madras. After my post graduation, I had worked as an Assistant Professor at Toc-H Institute of Science and Technology, Ernakulam
- B.Tech (TKMCE, Kollam)
- M. Tech (NIT Calicut, Materials Science and Technology)
- Ph.D. (IIT Madras, Applied Mechanics)
- Alan Sam, Remco Hartkamp, Sridhar Kumar Kannam, Jeetu S Babu, Sarith P Sathian, Peter J Daivis, B. D. Todd, “Fast transport of water in carbon nanotubes: A review of current accomplishments and challenges,” Molecular Simulations, (Accepted 2020).
- Alan Sam, Vishnu Prasad K, Sathian, S. P., “Water flow in carbon nanotubes: The role of tube chirality”, Phys. Chem. Chem. Phys., 21(12), 6566, 2019.
- Alan Sam, Remco Hartkamp, Sridhar Kumar Kannam, Sathian S. P., “Prediction of fluid slip in cylindrical nanopores using equilibrium molecular simulations”, Nanotechnology, 29(48), 485404, 2018.
- Alan Sam, Sridhar Kumar Kannam, Remco Hartkamp, Sathian S. P., “Water flow in carbon nanotubes: The effect of tube flexibility and thermostat”, J. Chem. Phys., 146(23), 234701, 2017.
- Alan Sam, Abhijith Anandan A, Sathian S. P., “Ultra-low water slip in charged nanotubes: An interplay between tube dynamics and water structure.” to be submitted.
- Alan Sam, Remco Hartkamp, Sridhar Kumar Kannam and Sathian S. P., “Fluid flow in cylindrical nanopores: Prediction of velocity slip using equilibrium molecular dynamics simulations”, 12th European Fluid Mechanics Conference, T. U. Wien, Austria, 2018.
- Alan Sam, Sridhar Kumar Kannam, Remco Hartkamp and Sathian S. P., “Thermostatting effects on fluid slip in nanochannels”, 44th National Conference on Fluid Mechanics and Fluid Power, Amrita University, Kerala, India, 2017.
- Alan Sam, Sridhar Kumar Kannam, Remco Hartkamp and Sathian S. P., “Fluid flow in nanopores: Insight from molecular simulations”, Nano-India, IIT Delhi, India, 2017.
- Subhash C. K., Alan Sam, Uvais V. N., Varghese S., “Poly (Vinylidene Fluoride-Trifluoroethylene) – Zinc Oxide Polymer Nanocomposite for Ferroelectric Applications”, Indo-US Workshop on Nano-Structured Electronic Materials: Challenges and Relevance to Electronics and Energy Research, Kerala, India, 2013.
- Fluid Mechanics
- Engineering Mechanics
- Basic thermodynamics
- Mechanics of Solids
- Mechanical Engineering Sciences
- Heat and Mass transfer