Dr.Chandan M C
Department of Civil Engineering
|About Me:||I have submitted my Doctoral work (PhD) at RCGSIDM, Indian Institute of Technology, Kharagpur. My professional contribution includes 6 papers published in international peer reviewed journal, 4 peer reviewed book chapters, 21 papers presented in international conferences and 8 papers presented in national conferences on the topics of my research interests in Urbanization and urban sprawl analysis using Geo-spatial data; Urban sustainability transitions and modelling; Artificial intelligence and machine learning applications to land use modelling. My research credentials are 82 citations with H-Index 6 and I10 index 2. I have also mentored numerous masters’ students and interns. I was invited as workshop instructor during GIAN (2018), FOSS4G India (IISc and IITKGP, 2019), FOSS4G SriLanka (2018) and FOSS4G South Korea (2020). I served as a teaching assistant for a web-based E-learning GIS course by NPTEL. I have worked in several research and consultancy projects related to Spatial Data Infrastructure with Application in Urban Transport, Planning Smart Cities during my tenure as a doctoral candidate. I am recipient of CSIR travel grant to Sri Lanka (2018), institute travel grants to USA (2018) and China (2019). My hobbies are Swimming, Trekking and Music|
- B.E (NIE, Mysuru)
- M.Tech (NITK, Surathkal)
- Ph.D (IIT Kharagpur)
- “Best Paper Award” for research paper presentation titled “Developing a Web-based spatial decision support system: A case study” in in LAKE, 2020 - Conference on Ecosystem Structure, Function, Goods and Services, conducted by IISC, Bangalore during 28-30 December, 2020.
- Land Use/Cover Changes, Environment and Emissions in South/Southeast Asia – An International Regional Science Meeting: Invited to attend meeting and young researchers training and present poster as a part of the NASA LULC Change program in-conjunction with South/Southeast Asia Research Initiative and collaboration with several international partners including NIES Japan, GOFC-GOLD, GEOGLAM, NASA SERVIR, University of Maryland College Park USA, heldat the Universiti Teknologi Malaysia, Johor Bahru, Johor, Malaysia, 22-27 July, 2019.
- Awarded full travel grant from IIT Kharagpur to present research paper at 16th International Conference – CUPUM, Wuhan, China (2019) and Fall Meeting, AGU, Washington, D.C, USA (2018).
- Awarded a full travel grant from CSIR to conduct an invited workshop titled “Land use change modelling using cellular automata based SLEUTH” in FOSS4G Asia conference, University of Moratuwa, Sri Lanka during 2-5 December, 2018.
- “Sahyadri Ecologist Award” for research paper presentation co-authored by Dr. Bharath H. A. in LAKE Conference, Moodbidri, Organised by CES, IISc and Alva's institute of engineering and technology, during 22-25 November, 2018.
- “Best Paper Award” in the International Symposium on Water Urbanism and Infrastructure Development in Eco-Sensitive Zones, held on 6-7 January 2017, Kolkata.
- Qualified as “Lead Trainer” for supervisor structure (Level-6) conducted by construction skill development council of India (CSDCI) and certified by national skill development corporation (NSDC) – July 2016.
- Awarded grade “A” in a three credit course “Environment Management” conducted by CCE, IISc during September – December 2014.
- Received a fellowship for pursuing post-graduation education (2013-15) and doctoral research (2017-21) by the Ministry of Human Resource Development, Govt. of India.
- Qualified and secured rank in graduate aptitude test in engineering (GATE) - 2013
- Bharath, H. A., Chandan, M. C., Vinay, S., & Akshit, S. (2020). Land allocation model using cellular automata to understand housing demand and supply. Spatial Information Research. https://doi.org/10.1007/s41324-020-00350-w
- Chandan, M. C., Nimish, G. & Bharath, H.A. (2020). Analysing spatial patterns and trend of future urban expansion using SLEUTH. Spatial Information Research, 28(1), 11–23. https://doi.org/10.1007/s41324-019-00262-4
- Bharath, H.A., Chandan, M. C., & Nimish, G. (2019). Assessing land surface temperature and land use change through spatio-temporal analysis: A case study of select major cities of India. Arabian Journal of Geosciences, 12(11). https://doi.org/10.1007/s12517-019-4547-1 Impact Factor: 0.86
- Bharath, H. A., Chandan, M. C., Vinay, S., & Ramachandra, T. V. (2018). Modelling urban dynamics in rapidly urbanising Indian cities. The Egyptian Journal of Remote Sensing and Space Science, 21(3), 201–210. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejrs.2017.08.002 Cite Score: 4.89
- Bharath, H. A., Vinay, S., Chandan, M. C., Gouri, B. A., & Ramachandra, T. V. (2018). Green to gray: Silicon Valley of India. Journal of Environmental Management, 206, 1287– 1295. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jenvman.2017.06.072 Impact Factor: 4.005
- Bharath, H.A., Chandan, M.C., Vinay, S., & Ramachandra, T.V., (2017). Modelling the growth of two rapidly urbanizing Indian Cities. Indian Journal of Geomatics, 11(2), 28-46.
- Bharath, H.A., Chandan, M.C., Vinay, S., & Ramachandra, T.V., (2017). Intra and Inter Spatio-Temporal Patterns of Urbanisation in Indian Megacities. International Journal of Imaging and Robotics, 17(2), 28-39.
- Abhimanyu, S., Chandan, M. C., & Bharath, H. A. (2020). Urban Growth Analysis and Modelling Based on Socio-Economic Agents Using Cellular Automata. Paper presented at IEEE International India Geoscience and Remote Sensing Symposium 2020, Ahmedabad, India, Virtual Symposium: 02-05 December, 2020.
- Chandan, M. C., Abhimanyu, S. & Bharath, H. A. (2020). Land Use Analysis and Modelling Based on Agents Using Cellular Automata. Paper presented at 41st Asian Conference on Remote Sensing, Deqing, China, Virtual Symposium: 09-11, November, 2020.
- Chandan, M. C., Aadithyaa, J. S., & Bharath, H. A. (2020). Integration of Genetic Algorithm and Agent Based Model to Visualize Near Realistic Sustainable Urban Growth: A Comparative Study. Paper presented at 2020 IEEE International Geoscience and Remote Sensing Symposium, Hawaii, USA, Virtual Symposium: 26 September – 02 October, 2020.
- Chandan, M. C., & Bharath, H. A. (2019). Assessing Spatial Forms of Urban Expansion Through Spatio-Temporal Metrics and Modelling Future Trends. Paper presented at The International Conference on Future Cities, Indian Institute of Technology, Roorkee: 11-13 December, 2019.
- Nimish G., Chandan M. C., & Bharath H. A. (2019). Relationship Between Urban Land Use Dynamics and Land Surface Temperature: Current and Future Scenario Modelling. Paper presented at 5th International Conference on Countermeasures to Urban Heat Islands (IC2UHI), Hyderabad, India: 2-4 December, 2019.
- Chandan, M. C., Aadithyaa, J. S., Prakash, P. S., & Bharath, H. A. (2019). Machine Learning for Building Extraction and Integration of Particle Swarm Optimization with Sleuth for Urban Growth Pattern Visualisation for Livable Cities. Paper presented at 55th ISOCARP World Planning Congress, Jakarta-Bogor, Indonesia: 9-13 September, 2019.
- Chandan, M. C., & Bharath, H. A. (2019). Quantitative Measurement, Analysis of Land Use Change through Spatio-Temporal Pattern and Modelling. Paper presented at 16th International Conference on Computers in Urban Planning and Urban Management, Wuhan, China: 8-12 July, 2019.
- Akshit, S., Chandan, M. C., Bharath, H. A. (2019). Housing Allocation Model to Understand Housing Demand and Supply. Paper presented at 49th Annual Conference of Urban Affairs Association, Los Angeles, California: 24-27 April, 2019.
- Bharath, H. A., Chandan, M. C., Nimish, G. (2018). Addressing sustainable agenda challenge through analysis of LST, GHG emissions and visualisation of urban growth in Megacities of India, Abstract [GH22A-09] presented at 2018 Fall Meeting, AGU, Washington, D.C.: 10-14 December, 2018.
- Chandan, M. C., Nimish, G., Bharath, H. A. (2018). Analyzing Urban Spatial Patterns and Trend of Future Urban Expansion Using SLEUTH. Paper presented at FOSS4G Asia 2018 conference, Moratuwa, Sri Lanka: 2-5 December, 2018.
- Chandan, M. C., Bharath, H. A. (2018). Analysis and modelling of impervious land-use expansion using remote sensing and GIS in Coimbatore, India. Paper presented at Biennial Symposium-Lake 2018: Conference on Conservation and Sustainable Management of Riverine Ecosystems, Moodbidri: 22-25 November, 2018.
- Nimish, G., Chandan, M. C., Bharath, H. A. (2018). Understanding Current and Future Land use Dynamics with Land Surface Temperature Alterations: A Case Study of Chandigarh, ISPRS Ann. Photogramm. Remote Sens. Spatial Inf. Sci., IV-5, 79-86, https://doi.org/10.5194/isprs-annals-IV-5-79-2018
- Chandan, M. C., & Bharath, H. A. (2018). Modelling Urban transition using Cellular Automata based Sleuth modelling. In 2018 IEEE Symposium Series on Computational Intelligence (SSCI), 1656-1663, https://doi.org/10.1109/SSCI.2018.8628940
- Gaurav, S., Chandan, M. C., Dharini, J., Bharath, H.A. (2018). Combined Spatial Multi- Criteria Approach for Assessing and Mapping Urban Flood Vulnerable Zones in Capital Region of India. Paper presented at IEEE International Conference for Convergence in Technology, Pune: 6-8 April 2018.
- Chandan, M. C., Dharini, J., Bharath, H. A. (2017). Understanding Resilience and Sustainable Urban Growth through Land Use Simulation: Case Study of Emerging Metrocity of India. Paper presented at ASCE India Conference, New Delhi: 12-14 December 2017. In Urbanization Challenges in Emerging Economies. American Society of Civil Engineers: 657- 669. https://doi.org/10.1061/9780784482032.066
- Nimish, G., Shafia A., Chandan, M. C., Bharath H. A. (2017). Monitoring land use/cover change and land surface temperature. Paper presented at 2nd Regional Science & Technology Congress (Western Region), The University of Burdwan, West Bengal: 16-17 November, 2017.
- Dharini, J., Chandan, M. C., Bharath H. A. (2017). Exposition of land use dynamics of Coimbatore city using Geoinformatics”. Paper presented at 2nd Regional Science & Technology Congress (Western Region), The University of Burdwan, West Bengal: 16-17 November, 2017.
- Chandan, M. C., Gaurav, S., Bharath H. A. (2017). Urban growth characterization using geospatial technologies. Paper presented at 2nd Regional Science & Technology Congress (Western Region), The University of Burdwan, West Bengal: 16-17 November, 2017.
- Chandan, M. C., Bharath, H. A. Ramachandra, T. V. (2017). Integrated Approach to Visualize Urban Growth: Case Study of Rapidly Urbanising City. Paper presented at International Symposium on Water Urbanism and Infrastructure Development in Eco- Sensitive Zones, Kolkata: 6-7 January, 2017
- Chandan, M. C., Vinay, S., Bharath, H. A., Ramachandra, T. V. (2016). Land Use Assessment and Urban Growth Monitoring in Hyderabad Region, India. Paper presented at Biennial Symposium-Lake 2016: Conference on Conservation and Sustainable Management of Ecologically Sensitive Regions in Western Ghats: 28-30 December, 2016.
- Ramachandra, T. V., Chandan, M. C., Bharath H. A., Vinay, S., Jeffery, M. Sellers, Venugopala, K. Rao. (2015). Moniotoring and Modelling Patterns of Urban Growth in Chennai, India. Proceedings of National Remote Sensing Center, ISRO, Hyderabad, User Interaction Meet: 21-22 January, 2015.
- Chandan, M. C., Bharath, H. A., Ramachandra, T. V. (2014). Quantifying Urbanisation using Geospatial Data and Spatial Metrics – A case study of Madraspattinam. Paper presented at Biennial Symposium-Lake 2014: Conference on Conservation and Sustainable Management of Wetland Ecosystems in Western Ghats: 13-15 November, 2014
- Chandramouli, P. N., Sumaraj, Madhushree A.R., Chandan, M. C., Manoj K.G (2011). Estimation of retention parameters using pressure plate extractor data. Paper presented at National Conference on Recent Developments in Civil Engineering, Vidya Vikas Institute of Engineering & Technology at Mysore, Karnataka
- Bharath, H. A., Nimish, G., & Chandan, M. C. (2020). Exposition of spatial urban growth pattern using PSO-SLEUTH and identifying its effects on surface temperature. In: Verma, P. et al., (Eds.) Urban Ecology (pp. 49–68). Elsevier. https://doi.org/10.1016/b978-0-12-820730-7.00004-5
- Ramachandra, T. V., Bharath, H. A., Vinay, S., & Chandan, M. C. (2020). Simulation and Modelling the Urban Dynamics in Bangalore. In: Rukmana, D. (Ed.) The Routledge Handbook of Planning Megacities in the Global South. New York: Routledge. https://doi.org/10.4324/9781003038160
- Chandan, M. C., Bharath, H. A., & Ramachandra, T. V. (2020). Land Use Modelling - Future Research, Directions and Planning. In: Bharath, H. A., & Ramachandra, T. V. (Eds.) Urban Growth Patterns in India: Spatial Analysis for Sustainable Development, first edition (pp. 81-105). Boca Raton, FL: CRC Press.
- Bharath, H. A., Chandan, M. C., Vinay, S., & Ramachandra, T. V. (2018). Urbanization in India: Patterns, Visualization of Cities, and Greenhouse Gas Inventory for Developing an Urban Observatory. In: Weng, Q., Quattrochi, D. & Gamba, P. (Eds.) Urban remote sensing, second edition (pp. 151-171). Boca Raton, FL: CRC Press.
- Fundamentals of Surveying
- Higher Surveying
- Introduction to Geoinformatics
- Surveying Lab
- Remote Sensing and GIS