Department of Civil Engineering
|Phone No:||94482 40040|
In 2015, I started my teaching career at NIE. I teach Civil Engineering subjects related to Mechanics and Design. Before joining NIE, I was pursuing research (Ph.D) at Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore (IISc) in the field of Structural Masonry, developing energy efficient & low carbon building materials utilising non-organic solid wastes. My PhD and undergraduate students tend to work in the design, testing and analysis of masonry structures, funded by the State/institutional level funding agencies. I have been awarded the Indo-U.S. Science & Technology Forum’s Building Energy Efficiency Higher & Advanced Network (BHAVAN) Fellowship for the year 2019. I was a Visiting Assistant Professor (July 2019 to July 2020) in the Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering, University of South Carolina, USA
- Ph.D., Civil Engineering (Structures), Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore, India, 2016
- M.Sc. Engg., Civil Engineering (Structures), Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore, India, 2009
- B.E., Civil Engineering, The National Institute of Engineering, Mysuru, India, 2006
- “Developing earth based building products utilising solid wastes,” UK-India Education and Research Initiative 2016. (Start date: 1.04.2017 | End date: 31.03.2019) Role: Principal partners (with: Prof. B. V. Venkatarama Reddy, India Lead partner at Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore; Prof. Pete Walker, UK Lead partner at Department of Architecture and Civil Engineering, University of Bath, UK)
- “Seismic performance of adobe building – Model study of Bhunga Houses”, Karnataka State Council for Science and Technology (KSCST) Student’s Project 2018 – 19 [42S_BE_2137]. Start date: January 2019 | End date: April 2019. Role: Guide.
- 2007: MHRD scholarship to pursue a Master’s (M.Sc. Engg.) at IISc, Bangalore
- 2009: MHRD scholarship to pursue PhD at IISc, Bangalore
- 2013: Travel grant and funding to pursue Internship at University of Illinois at Chicago, USA from United States National Science Foundation (NSF) [Award Number: 1030398]
- 2018: Travel grant and funding to visit Department of Architecture and Civil Engineering, University of Bath, UK from UK-India Education and Research Initiative (UKIERI) 2016
- 2019: Building Energy Efficiency Higher & Advanced Network (BHAVAN) Fellowship, Indo-U.S. Science & Technology Forum
- K. Gourav, K. S. Nanjunda Rao, and B. V. Venkatarama Reddy. (2020): "Prediction of Out-of-plane Flexural Behaviour of FaL-G Brick Masonry using Simplified Micro-modelling Approach", Masonry International (International Masonry Society). 33 (1), 1 – 14.
- David A. Weed, Adam G Tennant, Mohamed Hosein Motamedi, K. Gourav, Craig D Foster, and B. V. Venkatarama Reddy. (2020): “Finite Element Model Application to Flexural Behavior of Cement Stabilized Soil Block Masonry,” Materials and Structures (Springer Nature). 53 (3), 61.
- K. Gourav, S. N. Ullas, and B. V. Venkatarama Reddy. (2020): “Studies on properties of Flowable Earth Mix concrete for monolithic load bearing walls,” Construction and Building Materials, 250, 118876.
- K. Gourav and B. V. Venkatarama Reddy. (2018): “Out-of-plane flexure behaviour of fly ash-lime-gypsum brick masonry walls,” Engineering Structures, 173, 241–250.
- K. Gourav and B. V. Venkatarama Reddy. (2018): “Bond Development in Burnt Clay and Fly Ash-Lime-Gypsum Brick Masonry,” Journal of Materials in Civil Engineering, 30(9), 04018202.
- B. V. Venkatarama Reddy, H. Hemanth Kumar, S. N. Ullas, and K. Gourav. (2016): “Non-organic solid wastes - potential resource for construction materials,” Current Science, 111(12), 1968–1976.
- K. Gourav and B. V. Venkatarama Reddy. (2014): “Characteristics of compacted fly ash bricks and fly ash brick masonry,” Journal of Structural Engineering (Madras), 41(2), 144 – 157.
- B. V. Venkatarama Reddy and K. Gourav (2011): “Strength of lime–fly ash compacts using different curing techniques and gypsum additive,” Materials and Structures, 44(10), 1793–1808.
- Shrinivas Hebbar A, Shrinidhi D Kulal, Tajmul Pasha, Prasanta Kumar, K. Gourav. (2019): “Numerical and Experimental Investigation of Vibration Isolation of Three-storied Building Structure using Tuned Mass Damper”, International Conference on Advances in Mechanical Engineering & Management (ICAMEM - 2019) at Vidyavardhaka College of Engineering, Mysore, INDIA during March 22 - 23, 2019.
- K. Gourav and S. N. Ullas. (2018): “Characteristics of Flowable Earth Concrete”, International Symposium on Earthen Structures (ISES-2018) at Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore, INDIA during August 22 – 24, 2018.
- K. Gourav, N. C. Balaji, B. V. Venkatarama Reddy and M. Mani. (2017): “Studies into structural and thermal properties of building envelope materials”, CISBAT 2017 International Conference, Future Buildings & Districts Energy Efficiency from Nano to Urban Scale at EPFL, Lausanne, SWITZERLAND during September 6-8, 2017.
- G. Sarangapani and K. Gourav. (2017): “Compressive Strength of Alternative Concrete Block Masonry units,” International Conference on Global Civil Engineering Challenges in Sustainable Development and Climate Change - (ICGCSC-17) at Mangalore Institute of Technology & Engineering, Moodabidri, INDIA during March 17-18, 2017.
- K. Gourav and B. V. Venkatarama Reddy. (2009): “Strength development in lime-fly ash compacts using different curing techniques and additives,” International Seminar on Waste to Wealth, Green Building Materials and Construction Technologies using Agricultural and Industrial Wastes at Building Materials & Technology Promotion Council (BMTPC), Govt. of India, New Delhi, INDIA during November 12-13, 2009.
- K. Gourav and S. N. Ullas. (2019): “Characteristics of Flowable Stabilised Earth Concrete”. Earthen Dwellings and Structures. Springer Transactions in Civil and Environmental Engineering, Edited by B. V. Venkatarama Reddy, M, Mani, and P. Walker P. Springer, Singapore.
- Engineering Mechanics
- Fundamentals of RC Design
- Design of RC Structures
- Alternative Building Materials & Structural Masonry
- Structural Dynamics and Earthquake Engineering
- Design of Storage Structures
- Structural Dynamics and Earthquake Engineering
- Research Methodology