Dr. Gurumurthy S R
Department of Electrical and Electronics Engineering
|About Me:||I have industry and research experience of 35 years. I have worked as a Scientific Officer with various grades in BARC, engaged in Design & Development, Testing & Commissioning of Variable highspeed drives, Power supplies, Special purpose instruments and various control systems for nuclear facilities. Some of my important R&D contributions include the design and development of High speed AC drives for special purpose machines and BLDC machines, Boost and Buck Power converters, Controller for BLDC generators, Flywheel Energy Storage Systems, Special instruments like, Vibration Analyzers, True Power monitors used for high speed rotor balancing, Installation, commissioning and maintenance of VFDs, UPS, Control panels for the process plants. My experience includes design of various power converter topologies such as AC/DC, DC/DC, DC/AC for power conversion with wide range of output power rating like, 24W,5.0kW, 10kW, 45kWand 100kWusing power devices such as Thyristors, IGBTs, and MOSFETs. I have carried out Software development and implementation controllers for power converters using Embedded - C and Digital Signal Controllers.|
- Bachelor of Electronics & Communications Engineering, First Class with distinction,(August 1984), National Institute of Engineering, University of Mysore
- Master of Science in Power Electronics, Advisor Prof. V Ramanarayanan (April2006),Indian Institute of Science, Bengaluru
- PhD in Flywheel Energy Storage Systems, Advisor Prof. Vivek Agarwal & Prof. Archana Sharma (February 2017), Homi Bhabha National Institute/Indian Institute of Technology, Mumbai
- Group Achievement award: “Design and execution of Multi-disciplinary infrastructure project for significant increase in SNM Production capacity”, Department of Atomic Energy, Mumbai (2016)
- Group Achievement award: “Conceptualization, Design & Implementation of Uninterruptible power supply to Hysteresis motors”, Department of Atomic Energy, Mumbai (2009)
- S.R.Gurumurthy, V.Agarwal and A.Sharma,“Optimal energy harvesting from a high- speed brushless DC generator-based Flywheel energy storage system," IET Electr. Power Appl, vol. 7,I 9, pp. 693-700, November 2013.
- S. R. Gurumurthy, V. Agarwal, and A. Sharma, “High Efficiency Bi-directional Converter for Flywheel Energy Storage Application," IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., vol.63, no. 9, pp. 5477-5487, September 2016.
- S. R. Gurumurthy, V. Agarwal, and A. Sharma, “A Novel Dual Winding BLDC Generator-Buck Converter combination for enhancement of the harvested energy from a Flywheel, " IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron.,vol.63,no.12,pp. 7563-7573, December2016.
- S.R.Gurumurthy, V. Agarwal, A.Sharma and S.Sarkar, “Apportioning and mitigation of losses in a brushless generator based flywheel energy storage system, "IEEE 4th International Symposium on Power Electronics for Distributed Generation Systems (PEDG), Rogers, Arkansas, USA, 8- 11th , July2013.
- S.R.Gurumurthy, V.Agarwal, and A.Sharma, “Design Considerations for a PM-BLDC Machine for Flywheel Energy Storage Applications, "IEEE 6th International Symposium on Power Electronics for Distributed Generation Systems (PEDG), Aachen, Germany. On 22-25, June 2015.
- S.R.Gurumurthy, V.Agarwal, and Vijaya Srinath, “Compact and Modular Solid State controlled Flywheel based Capacitor Charging Power Supply," 2nd International Transportation Electrification Conference (iTECIndia-2107), 13-15 December 2017, Pune, India.
- S. R. Gurumurthy, A. Sharma, S. Sarkar and S. Satheshkumar, “Eﬀect of leakage Inductance on the performance of BLDC machine in generation and motoring mode, " 3rd International conference on Power, Signals, Control Computation (EPSCICON 2014) Trissur, Kerala, January 9-11th , 2014
V.Agarwal and S.R.Gurumurthy, “ Apparatus and Method for Enhancement of Energy Harvested from a Flywheel Energy Storage System, " Indian Patent, May 2015, 1811/RQ/MUM/2015