Dr.M V Achutha
Department of Mechanical Engineering
My service in NIE started in March 1988 as a lecturer. I was promoted as senior lecturer in 1993 and Selection grade lecturer in 1998. I am serving as professor from 2009 to date. My Primary research interests are in Fatigue studies of Metal Matrix and Polymer Matrix composites. However, I am also quite interested in studies on wear and fracture of composite materials due to relationship between fatigue, wear and fracture. One of my doctoral student successfully completed his research in studies on fracture toughness of polymer matrix composites while two of my doctoral students are working in the area of fatigue of thermo plastic composites and metal matrix hybrid composites.
I was instrumental in setting up Innovation and Entrepreneurship Development Centre(IEDC) in 2010, Which was funded by Govt.of India, DST, to the tune of Rs.47 Lakhs. The IEDC Project was successfully completed in 2015 and 14 innovative projects carried out were applied for patent the details of which are given below.
I headed the Mechanical Department from Jan 2016 to Sept 2019. Under my supervision, The Siemens Technical Centre was set up in March 2019 with the funding from TEQIP III, to train UG/PG students to develop skills for design of automobiles, ships and aeroplanes. I was also supervising the research activities of NIE as dean R&D for a brief tenure from Sept 2019 to March 2020.Other than my research and student supervision I am also actively involved in the activities of Entrepreneurship and Start ups. I also teach number of courses the details of which are given below.
- B.E. (Mysore Univ.)
- M.E.M(Mysore Univ.)
- M.Tech (IIT.Kharagpur)
- Ph.D (Kuvempu Univ.)
- Innovation and Entrepreneurship Development Centre
- National Association of Incubation Network
- Ajith Nagaraj Naik, M.V.Achutha, Annappa Manjunath Gunaga, Dinith Ashokan, Harensh Ramesh Naik(2018), “Smart Drip Irrigation System Using Soil Moisture Level and Weather Data”, Internal Journal for Researching for Applied Science and Engineering Technology”, Volume 6, Issue 5,2260-2266.
- M.V.Achutha, Keshavnath.B.G, Sharat Chandra(2016), “Concept Design and Analysis of Low Cost O-Ring Assembly Machine for Adjustable Ball Race Assembly”, International Journal of Innovative Research in Advanced Engineering, Volume 3, Issue 7,36-41
- Sharatchandra.N, Natarag.G.K, M.V.Achutha(2016),“Concept Design and Analysis of Multipurpose Farm Equipment”, International Journal of Innovative Research in Advanced Engineering, Volume 3, Issue 2,30-36
- Basappa Hulugappa, Mysuru Venkataramaiah Achutha, Bheemappa Suresha(2016), “Effect of Environmental Conditions on Flexural Strength and Fracture Toughness of Particulate Filled Glass-Epoxy Hybrid Composites”, Materials Sciences and Applications , Volume 7, 710-729
- Basappa Hulugappa, Mysuru Venkataramaiah Achutha(2016), Bheemappa Suresha “Effect of Fillers on Mechanical Properties and Fracture Toughness of Glass Fabric Reinforced Epoxy Composites”, Journal of Minerals and Materials Characterization and Engineering, Volume 4,1-14
- M.V.Achutha, Vinush.G, K.R.Prakash(2015), “Dry Sliding Wear Behaviour of Nickel Aluminide coated on Zinc”, International Journal of Current Engineering and Technology, Volume 5, Issue 3,1836-1840
- K.R.Prakash, M.V.Achutha,C.N.Kaushik(2015)“Design and Development of Automation System for Polyeurethane Foaming Machine”, International Journal of Research Studies in Science, Engineering and Technology,Volume 2, Issue 6,1-9
- Madhushekar, Lakshmikant.S, M.V.Achutha, N.V.Raghaveandra(2015), “Human Activity Recognition Through Accelerometer Sensor Using Data mining”, International Journal for research in applied science & Technology, Volume 3, Issue 8,142-150
- B.Hulugappa, M.V.Achutha, B.Suresha(2014), “Effect of Type and Loading of Micro Fillers on Fracture Toughness of Glass Fibric Reinforced Epoxy Composite Polymer”, Advanced Research and Innovation in Mechanical Mechanical Material Science, Industrial Engineering and Management,210-214
- M.V.Achutha, B.K.Sridhara and D.Abdul Budaan(2008) “A Reliability based stress-life evaluation of Aluminum Graphite particulate composites”, Journal of Materials an Design, ELSEVIER, Volume 29, Issue4, 769-774
- M.V.Achutha, B.K.Sridhara and Abdul Budaan(2008) “Fatigue Life Estimation of Hybrid Aluminium Matrix Composites”, International Journal on Design and Manufacturing technologies,Volume2, Issue1, 14-21
- Arun Dixit, M.V.Achutha and B.K.Sridhara(2020), “Opportunities for Aluminium Lm6-Boron Carbide(B4c)Metal Matrix Composites in Fatigue Based Applications: A review, National Conference on Futuristic Trends in Materials , Manufacturing and Mechanical Engineering(FTMMME-2020) 28-29Feb 2020, NIT Raipur.
- Shrinatha R.Katti, M.V.Achutha and B.K.Sridhara(2019),”Fatigue Behaviour of polymer nano Composites-A review”, 3rd International Conference and Exhibition on Fatigue, Durability and Fracture mechanics, A symposium on condition Assessment /Residual Life Assessment and Extension. Fatigue durability India 2019, 29th to 31stt Aug 2019,VTU Belgaum.
- Shrinatha R.Katti, M.V.Achutha and B.K.Sridhara(2018), Theoretical and “Theoretical and Experimental Tensile Behaviour of MWCNT and CNP filled Polypropelene Thermoplastic Composites”, International Conference on Innovation in Engineering Technology and Sciences(ICIETS).,ISBN: CFP18Q63-PRT/978-1-5386-7321- 8, Supported by IEEE, 20th to 21st Sept 2018
- Basappa Hulugappa, Mysuru Venkataramaiah Achutha, Bheemappa Suresha(2014), “Fracture Toughness of Glass Fabric Reinforced Epoxy Composites": Effect of Filler Addition and Temperature. ICPC-2014, NITK, Surathkal.
- Arun Dixit, M.V.Achutha and B.K.Sridhara(2019) “Evaluation of Critical Speed for Aluminium-Boron Carbide metal Matrix Composite Shaft”. - Lecture notes in Mechanical Engineering, Innovative Design Analysisand Development Practices in Aerospace and Automotive Engineering,I-DAD, Springer Nature Singapore, Pte ltd. 2019. Springer,527-534
- Patents Applied Under IEDC: From 2013-2015
- First examination report from the Indian Patent Office of the patents applied has been received. The drafting and filing a response to the objections raised is being carried out in the prosecution stage as on May 2020.
- Automation of Subjective Correction of Vision(EC)
- Development of refractory coating for buildings(CIVIL)
- Design and fabrication of a kit to supply LPG and BIO-Gas blend for domestic and industrial applications(MECHANICAL)
- Automatic hand brake system(MECHANICAL)
- Design and development of a test rig to determine the thermal and oxidation stability of biodiesel(MECHANICAL)
- Design and fabrication of hybrid bicycle with variable momentum energy recovery and conversion system(MECHANICAL)
- Replacement of femoral stem in total hip anthroplasty using a novel composite material(MECHANICAL)
- Development of bagasse ash as refractory material in cement and concrete(CIVIL)
- Development of masonry blocks manufactured by recycled brick powder stabilized with cement and crumb rubber as an additive(CIVIL)
- A system and method for a cloud based virtual cooking platform and an automatic cooking device(MECHANICAL)
- Wind energy conversion system for low wing speed operation using counter rotating generator and vertical axis wind turbine(ELECTRICAL)
- Development of eco friendly aerobic anaerobic bio digester for railways(CIVIL)
- Development of portable container used to transport and store perishable vegetables, fruits in healthy condition(ELECTRICAL)
- Design and development of a bicycle with automatic and continuous variable transmission(MECHANICAL)
- Metallurgy and Advanced materials
- Industrial Robotics
- Mechanical Measurements and Metrology
- Manufacturing process I,II & III
- Machine Drawing
- Rapid Prototyping