Dr.Mrinal K R
Department of Mechanical Engineering
My primary research interests are influid mechanics and turbomachines. I completed PhD on Turbo machines from IIT Madras. My PhD research topic is on experimental and numerical analysis of centrifugal and progressive cavity pump delivering non-Newtonian fluids. I had carried out research related to the turbo-machinery (pumps- centrifugal and screw pump), non-Newtonian slurry fluid flow, surrogate models, experimental and CFD modelling in my PhD work. I have been working in CFD modelling and fluid flow analysis in fluid machinery for seven years. Currently, I am working on design and fluid flow analysis on turbo-machines. I guided students on CFD modelling on screw extruder, wind and hydro-kinetic turbine.I also teach a couple of courses. For the details of these activities, please click on the appropriate icon on your left. Some of you might find the lecture notes page (some of the files here are incomplete and I am in the process of completing them) useful and interesting, which contains lecture notes on fluid mechanics and turbo-machines.
- B.E. (Calicut Univ.)
- M.E (Anna University)
- Ph.D (IIT Madras)
- K.R Mrinaland A. Samad (2018), “Performance prediction of kinetic and screw pumps delivering slurry. Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part A: Journal of Power and Energy, 232(7),898-911.
- K.R. Mrinal and A. Samad (2017), Leakage flow correlation of a progressive cavity pump delivering shear thinning non-Newtonian fluids. International Journal of Oil, Gas and Coal Technology, 16(2), 166-186.
- K.R. Mrinal., M. H., Siddique and A. Samad. (2018). Performance Prediction of a Centrifugal Pump Delivering non-Newtonian Slurry, Particulate Science and Technology, 36(1), 38-45.
- K.R. Mrinal., M. H., Siddique and A. Samad. "A Transient 3D CFD Model of a Progressive Cavity Pump." In ASME Turbo Expo 2016: Turbomachinery Technical Conference and Exposition, pp. V009T24A009-V009T24A009, Volume 9 American Society of Mechanical Engineers, 2016.
- M. H., Siddique.,K.R. Mrinal., and A. Samad. Optimization of a centrifugal pump impeller by controlling blade profile parameters." In ASME Turbo Expo 2016: Turbomachinery Technical Conference and Exposition, volume 2c, pp. V02CT45A009-V02CT45A009. American Society of Mechanical Engineers, 2016
- K.R.Mrinal, W.K.Tungoe and C.L.Kithan (2018), “Numerical Analysis of Horizontal Axis Wind Turbine Using Q-Blade, Proceedings of the 7th International and 45th National Conference on Fluid Mechanics and Fluid Power (FMFP) December 10-12, 2018, IIT Bombay, Mumbai, India
- K.R.Mrinal, S.Suraj and S.G. Nihal (2018), “A Study of Materials and Manufacturing Techniques for the Wind Turbine Blades”,International Conference on Advances in Manufacturing Technology (ICAMT), Chennai Institute of Technolog, Chennai, India.
- K.R. Mrinal, M. H., Siddique and A. Samad (2016), “A Transient 3D CFD Model of a Progressive Cavity Pump”, Turbomachinery Technical Conference & Exposition presented by the ASME International Gas Turbine Institute, Seoul, South Korea.
- K.R. Mrinal and A. Samad (2014), “CFD Simulation of Flow Through Progressive Cavity Pump”, Fifth International Conference on Fluid Mechanics and Fluid Power, IIT Kanpur, Kanpur, India.
- K.R. Mrinal and A. Samad (2012), “Numerical Modelling of Flow through Progressive Cavity Pump – A review”, Proceedings of the second International Conference on Drilling Technology, IIT Madras, Chennai, India.
- K.R Mrinal and V.Kalaiselvam (2012), “In-Cylinder Air Motion Studies in IC Engine using CFD”, International conference in Magna on Emerging Engineering Trends (ICMEET2K12), Magna College of Engineering, Chennai, India.
- M.H. Siddique, K.R. Mrinal and A. Samad (2016), “Optimization of a Centrifugal Pump Impeller by Controlling Blade Profile Parameters”, Turbomachinery Technical Conference & Exposition presented by the ASME International Gas Turbine Institute, Seoul, South Korea.
- Fluid Mechanics
- Basic thermodynamics
- Applied thermodynamics
- Research methodology