Department of Mechanical Engineering
Shamsundar Subbarao , is working as Associate professor , at Dept Of Mechanical Engineering , The National Institute Of Engineering, Mysuru. He is also HEAD of Centre for Renewable energy and sustainable Technologoes ( NIE -CREST), at The National institute of engineering Mysuru. He has 30 years of Teaching experience in the field of Renewable energy, Power plant engineering, Automotive mechanics, Thermodynamics , Mcrogrid and other thermal subjects. He has more than 12years of experience in designing Renewable energy systems viz, Rainwater harvesting systems, Biogas and Bio CNG from waste , waste to energy projects, waste composters, biodiesel from waste oil and other green technologies. He also work on projects pertaining to RE- Microgrids, Biomass Energy Technologies , Solar Energy , and other sustainable & green technologies. He has also responsibility as :Co-ordinator Mysore District Biofuel I&D centre, Govt. Of Karnataka at NIE Mysuru which hosts a 50liter /batch Biodiesel production unit at NIE, Mysore
- M.Sc, University of Oldenberg, Germany, 2000
- B.E. Karnatak University, Dharwad, Karnataka, India, 1989
- Design and Fabrication of Solar Hybrid Photovoltaic and Water Heating Systems
- Design and Fabrication of Stirling Engine Systems
- Design and Fabrication of a Vapour Absorption Refrigeration System
- Design and Fabrication of a kit to supply LPG Bio-gas Blend for Domestic and Industrial Applications
- Fabrication of a test rig to determine the oxidation stability of bio-fuels Micro grids for Sustainable Global Development
- Biosensor Project- For the detection of pesticides in water
- Nanotechnology for Solar Cells
- Bio-fuel Information and Demonstration Centre
- Rotary Parisara Mithra award, Rotary Mysuru 2018-19
- Pride of Mysuru Award-2015
- Pragathi Prathistana, Mysore
- Best Engineer Award-2014”, Lions club of Mysore
- Dakshina Kesari - Best Engineer Award-2011, Lions club of Mysore, South
- DAAD-Germany, Scholarship for Master Degree studies, 1999-2000
- Anusha Manur, Maitreyee Marathe, Ashray Manur, Abhishek Ramachandra, Shamsundar Subbarao, Giri Venkataramanan, “Smart Solar Home System with Solar Forecasting” ,Published in: 2020 IEEE International Conference on Power Electronics, Smart Grid and Renewable Energy (PESGRE2020), Cochin, India. ISBN Information: Electronic ISBN: 978-1-7281-4251-7.USB ISBN: 978-1-7281-4250-0. Publisher: IEEE
- M. A. Sangamesh, K. Pushpalatha, G. L. Shekar, and S. Shamsundar, “Preparation and Characterization of Nanocrystalline CuS Thin Films for Dye-Sensitized Solar cells”, ISRN Nanomaterials Volume 2013, Article ID 829430, http://dx.doi.org/10.1155/2013/829430.
- S. Shamsundar, Dhananjaya K N, P. Sowmya “Kitchen Waste Biogas Plant-an Innovative Technology for Waste Management; A Case Study of 60 kg Per Day Biogas Plant at Postal Training Centre, Mysore, India” Published in proceedings of International Conference on Biological Waste as Resource with a Focus on Food Waste, BWAR-2014, Hong Kong.
- Shamsundar Subbarao, Dhananjaya K N, “Decentralized-Biodiesel Plant: A Viable Business Opportunity for Rural Areas”, Green Summit-2014, Bangalore, India.(Poster)
- Shamsundar Subbarao, Padmavathi P Dhananjaya, K N Sowmya, “Aranyaka –Ecofriendly and Sustainable Antipoaching Unit at Bandipur”, Green Summit-2014, (5/6/2014 to 7/6/2014) Bangalore, India.(Poster)
- Shamsundar Subbarao, R G Nagaraj, Dhananjaya, K N “Biogas Plant at Mysore Zoo: A case study of sustainable waste management and Energy Conservation”, Green Summit-2014, Bangalore, India.(Poster).
- M R Mahima , K C Manjunath , S Shamsundar, “Evaluating the Effluent Quality of Biodigesters in Mysore City”, Published in proceedings of the 4th International Conference on Solid Waste Management (4th ICON SWM) Hyderabad, India.
- Shamsundar Subbarao, Dhananjaya K N, “Biodiesel plant: A viable Cottage Industry for Rural Areas presented at National Conference on Future of Rural Chemical Industries in India” Proceedings of FCRII-2014, Mahatma Gandhi Institute for Rural Industrialization (MGIRI), 16-01-2014 to 17-01-2014,Wardha, India.
- Shamsundar Subbarao, Jagannatha V, Dhananjaya K N, “Bio-waste to Energy; Projects implemented by NIE-CREST” Proceedings of ICONSWM-2012, 31-07-2012 to 02-08-2012, Infosys, Mysore.
- Shamsundar Subbarao, Dhananjaya K N, “Sustainable Energy and waste management: A good practice at Administrative Training Institute [ATI], Mysore” Proceedings of the National Conference on Thrust Areas in Engineering [NCTAE-2012], 20 to 21st January 2012, Global Academy of Technology, Bangalore
- Shamsundar Subbarao, Vaishaali Balasundaram, Dhananjaya K N, “Conversion of crude glycerol to soap with different ratios of lye”, Biofuels Insights-2012, 10-08-2012 to 12-08-2012, KSBDB, Karnataka Chitrakala Parishad, Bangalore.
- Shamsundar Subbarao, Dhananjaya K N “Good practices on biogas from Organic/Kitchen Waste as a Sustainable biofuel: projects implemented by NIE-CREST”, Biofuels Insights-2012, 10-08-2012 to 12-08-2012, KSBDB, Karnataka Chitrakala Parishad, Bangalore.
- Microgrid Partnership for sustainable development , R& D Project , Wisconsin Ideas ,with Prof.Giri Venkataramanan , University of Wisconsin Madison– From 2015 to 2019.
- Water ,Sanitation and Hygiene project ( IHU WASH) in collaboration with NIUA( National Institute Of Urban affairs) , MCC ( Mysore city corporation )- 2018-2019. Establishment of WASH Lab @ NIE, Mysuru.
- Principle Investigator, Biosensor Paper Project – for detection of pesticides in water together with Sentinel Group, McMasters University, Canada. 2010 to 2012, (INR 690,000).
- Co-Investigator, Preparation and Characterisation of CIGS nanomaterials for Photovoltaics, in association with Vision Group on Science and Technology (VGST), Department of Science and Technology, Government of Karnataka, 2011 to 2014.
- Coordinator, District Biofuel Information and Demonstration Centre for dissemination, research and development of Biofuels in Mysore District, Karnataka State Biofuel Development Board, Government of Karnataka, Bangalore, 2011 to till date ( on going)
- Coordinator SEAN-DEE ( south east asian network on Disaster & Environmenal engineering) project sponsored by DAAD, Germany and involving five international universities viz. Uni. Of Kassel, Germany, Nepal, and 3 universities from Bangladesh (2011 to 2014).
- Installation of Aerobic Bio composters in schools , hostels, institutions, gated communities, apartments, houses.
- Pilot Kitchen waste Biogas plants projects at Port villa effate island, Espiritu Santo island , Vanuatu Islands in the South pacific.(2018)
- Installation of 1000kg/day Biogas plant at Mysore Zoo ( BARC , IndiaTechnology).
- Installation Of 100Kg/Day input Kitchen Waste Biogas Plant’s at , Pramathi school, Mysore, HUL Mysuru, ATI ( Administrative Training Institute, Mysore) , Postal Training centre, Karwar Naval base, NIE Boys Hostel, Mysuru, and many more.
- Installed more than 100 Nos, Small Kitchen waste Biogas Plants to homes including houses of Mr.Randeep, Deputy Comissioner , Mysuru, Mrs.Suma shamsundar, Smt. Manjula guruprasad, Smt. Sahikala, Smt. Radha Ganesh , and villages near Bidadi under BOSH CSR project and many more.
- IHU – WASH –( Innovation Hub for Urban Water ,Sanitation and Health) Project , IHU-WASH Chair @ NIE, Mysore. A Project in collaboration with Mysore city corporation & NIUA( National Institute Of Urban Affairs), New Delhi, sponsored by USAID
- Renewable energy integrated Microgrids project to remote villages in co-operation with University of Wisconsin, Madison, USA.(2017)
- Rainwater Harvesting Design/Scheme to Prestigious Mysore Palace, Mysore, India , Mysore silk factory, ATI, AIISH ,ZP Mysuru, and many houses and Institutions.
- Fuel Efficient Biomass Cook Stoves at Chamundi hill ,Manthralaya, and Many Villages around Karnataka.
- Establishing 185Kw, 100Kw, 10Kw and 30Kw solar grid tied and off grid PV system at NIE main campus, Boys hostel and Library and many more .
- Design and Implementation of ARANYAKA – Sustainable, Renewable Energy based Anti poaching Unit at Bandipur National Park( 2012), Biodiel to vehicle.
- Design of Ecofriendly Anganawadi kendras to Tribal hamlets of Periyapatna taluq, Mysuru, India
- Coordinator SEAN-DEE ( South East Asian Network on Disaster & Environmental engineering) project sponsored by DAAD, Germany. SEAN DEE is a network of five international universities viz. Uni. Of Kassel, Germany, , NIE Mysuru, BVB Mysuru, Tribhuvan University Nepal, and 2 universities from Bangladesh . He has facilitated visit of more than 30 students and 4 faculty members of NIE , Mysuru to University of Kassel , Germany with DAAD financial assistance of 100Euros per student for a 10 day workshops & long term sponsorships to students.
- Played a major role in facilitating “German Advisory Council On Global Change “ (WBGU) a 9 member high level delegation from Germany to his institute in the 2008.
- Traveled extensively in India and abroad viz. USA, Germany, Vanuatu , Fiji, Srilanka, Bangladesh, Nepal, Hongkong, France, Austria, China, Dubai, and many more
- Established a good network with some of the International Universities/ Institutions viz. University of Wisconsin, Madison, USA on Microgrids, Disaster & Environmental Engineering, University of Kassel, Germany, Tribhuvan university, Nepal and many more.
- Co-ordinator Mysore District Biofuel I&D centre, Govt. Of Karnataka at NIE Mysuru which hosts a 50liter /batch Biodiesel production unit at NIE, Mysore.
- Patent applied for – “A Device for Switch Over from Biogas to LPG and Vice-Versa and a method There of”, 2015.
- Patent applied for – “A System and Method for Measurement of Thermal Stability and Oxidation Stability of Biodiesel”, 2015.
- Patent applied for – “A System and Method for Recovery and conversion of Variable Gravitational Potential Energy in Electric Bicycles”, 2015.
- Renewable Energy Technologies
- Power Plant Engineering
- Basic Thermodynamics
- Applied Thermodynamics
- Internal Combustion Engines
- Automotive engineering
- Elements of Mechanical Engineering
- Biomass energy technologies