Dr.Punith B Kotagi
Department of Civil Engineering
Currently serving in Dept. of Civil Engineering as Assistant Professor (from August 2018) and handling various courses for undergraduate students (Highway Engineering, Transportation Engineering, etc). Besides teaching I am also involved in various institutional activities such as Member-Anti-Ragging Flying Squad (2019-20); Member-Editorial Board NIE Newsletter (2019-20), Officer-In-Charge for Project Survey, Camp officer for Extensive Survey Project (NIE-EDH) and also involved in departmental NBA and NAAC activities. Coordinator of One-Day Workshop on ‘Airport Planning, Design and Construction’.
My research expertise includes traffic simulation modelling for efficient traffic operation and management. My undergraduate project students have worked in the same area by conducting several cases studies. One such study was awarded with ‘Second Best Paper’ in INFRA ROADTECH, National Conference 2019, RASTA Bengaluru. I have delivered few technical talks in various institutes and ‘Reviewer’ for scientific journals such as IEEE Intelligent Transportation Systems Transactions, International Journal of Microsimulation. I was also part of ‘Review Committee’ for several technical conferences. Life member of ‘Association of Consulting Civil Engineers-India’
- Ph.D. in Transportation Engineering, from Department of Civil Engineering, National Institute of Technology Karnataka (NITK), Surathkal, Mangalore.
- M.Tech. in Highway Technology from RASTA – Centre for Road Technology (VTU, Belgaum), Bangalore, Karnataka. (2011 – 2013)
- B.E. in Civil Engineering from P. D. A. College of Engineering, Gulbarga, Karnataka (Autonomous Institution under VTU, Belgaum). (2007-2011)
- Assistant Professor from 08/08/2018 till date
- Officer-In-Charge Project Survey (2019)
- Punith B. Kotagi, Pooja Raj and Gowri, A. (2019). “Modeling Lateral Placement and Movement of Vehicles on Urban Undivided Roads in Mixed Traffic: A Case Study of India” Journal of Traffic and Transportation Engineering. DOI: 10.1016/j.jtte.2018.06.008
- Punith B. Kotagi and Gowri Asaithambi (2019). “Microsimulation Approach for Evaluation of Reversible Lane Operation on Urban Undivided Roads in Mixed Traffic”, Transportmetrica A: Transport Science, 15(2), Taylor and Francis Publications, DOI: 10.1080/23249935.2019.1632387
- Punith B. Kotagi, Rohineesha A. S., Likhitha M., and Varsha H. M., (2019). “Effect of Exclusive Bus Lane on Travel Time for Urban Mid-blocks”, International Conference on Innovative Trends in Civil Engineering for Sustainable Development, September 13-15, 2019, NIT Warangal.
- Punith B. Kotagi and Gowri, A. (2019). “Study of Impact of Modal Shift of Private Vehicles towards Public Transport using Microscopic Simulation Model: A Case Study of Three Metropolitan Cities in India”, 98th Transportation Research Board Annual Meeting (No. 19-06058).
- Likhitha M., Rohineesha A. S., Yateesha H. R., Varsha H. M., and Punith B. Kotagi (2019). “Study of Traffic Flow Characteristics of Urban Divided Roads” INFRA ROADTECH, National Conference, RASTA Bengaluru.
- Punith B. Kotagi, Gowri, A. and Krishna, M. (2018). “Development of Microscopic Simulation Model for Bidirectional Mixed Traffic on Urban Roads”, 97th Transportation Research Board Annual Meeting. (No. 18-04818)
- Punith B. Kotagi and Gowri, A. (2017). “Simulation Framework for Modeling Bidirectional Mixed Traffic”, IEEE, pp. 443-447.
- Punith B. Kotagi, Pooja Raj and Gowri, A. (2016). “Analysis of Lateral Placement and Movement of Vehicles on Urban Undivided Roads in Mixed Traffic”, Proceedings of 12th Transportation Planning and Implementation Methodologies for Developing Countries, IIT Bombay, 19-21 December, 2016.
- Pooja Raj, Punith B. Kotagi and Gowri, A. (2016). “Lateral Distribution of Vehicles on Urban Undivided Roads in Non-Lane Based Traffic Conditions”, Proceedings of 5th International Engineering Symposium, Kumamoto University, Japan, March 2-4, 2016.
- Punith B. Kotagi and Gowri, A. (2014). “Simulation Model for Bi-directional Traffic on Urban Undivided Roads under Mixed Traffic Conditions”, 2nd International Conference on Green Urban Futures, Bengaluru, November 03-07, 2014.
- Transportation Engineering
- Highway Engineering
- Airport Engineering
- Building Materials and Construction
- Project Survey
- Highway Materials Testing Lab.
- Concrete and NDT Lab.
- Traffic Engineering (NIE-EDH)
- Urban Transportation and Planning (NIE-EDH)