NIE CAREER GUIDANCE CELL (NIE-CGC)
One of the policy decisions in the UGC XI Plan provides for establishing Career Guidance Cell in Colleges and Universities, which can be understood as a Centre assisting students in realizing their aptitudes/potential, training them to hone and supplement their aptitudes/potentials, match them with the available careers and bring in Companies to select them and place them. NIE for a long time has had a robust Training and Placement Cell which benefits the student immensely at a higher level. A Career Guidance Cell will fill in the gap of the testing of students to realize their potentials and matching them to appropriate careers is lacking at NIE and this will be prior to Training and Placement Activity at NIE.
The Career Guidance Cell (CGC) is established with the following main objectives:
- To assist the students to be tested through psychometric tests specially designed for Engineering Students. Such psychometric tests will clearly state the aptitudes and potentials in engineering with regard to each student.
- To map the students to the available broad careers with reference to the results.
- To counsel students to help choose jobs/careers based on their interests and aptitudes.
The broad careers after BE would mean higher studies (in India and abroad), entrepreneurship, Civil Services, Engineering Services, and other Services through competitive exams, Service in Armed Forces, Research Career (through a MSc research and culminating in a PhD).
Activities under CGC
The above objectives will be supported through the following activities:
- Identify Professionals/Consultants to carry out psychometric tests specially designed for Engineering Students.
- Identify Professionals/Consultants to provide career matching and professional counseling for the students.
- Formation of Clubs for GATE/Higher Studies/Civil Service Exams/Language Studies through e-registration. (All the students of NIE shall register through e-registration made available in the NIE website; this will enable CGC to plan the activities for the year to set an excellent career for all NIE students; Note: e-registration and the related modalities will be rolled out very soon)
- Organise lectures and workshops regarding CG by:
- Experts/Professionals from Companies
- Professors from IITs and IISc
- Professors/officials from Universities abroad especially with whom NIE has MOUs.
- Experts from Training Institutes like Brilliants Tutorials, GATE Forum etc.
- Alumni of NIE well placed in their careers. (To effectively make use of NIE Alumni Network, who have gone abroad for higher studies, to periodically motivate and guide our students)
- To organize higher study events by organisations like DAAD, Campus France etc.
To award and honor achievers and toppers.
Establishment of Clubs Under The Career Guidance Cell
- GATE club
- Higher Studies Club
- Civil Service Club
- Language Studies Club
- Any other club as per the need of CGC
Activities of the Club
Higher Studies Club:
- Organizing coaching for GRE, TOEFL, GATE, CAT, IELTS etc., inside NIE campus by leading external organizations and internal resource persons.
- Conduct Mock Tests for Higher Studies and various Competitive Exams among students to promote higher studies in India and Abroad.
- Provide study materials for the higher study aspirants
Civil Services Exams Club:
- Provides learning resources for aspirants of IAS, IFS, IPS, IES, IRS and various Defense Services etc.
- Invite eminent speakers to interact with our students about Preparation for the exam, Scheduling study hours, Attending Exam & Interviews.
Provides time slots for sharing the knowledge among the aspirants for peer enabled learning.
Language Studies Club:
- Organizes Foreign Language Programmes in German, French, Japanese etc., and Coaching Classes for Hindi and English Communication for the needy students.
Conducts the Training for Business English Certificate (BEC-Vantage) and arrange for the conduct of Computer based BEC Exam in the campus.
NIE Career Guidance Committee
For organizing and planning of activities of CGC, The NIE Career Guidance Committee will have the following as members:
- Principal – Chairperson
- TAP Committee Chair
- TAP Officer
- Dean (Student Welfare)
- College Level Coordinator (CG-CLC)
- Department Level Coordinators (CG-DLC)
Student Level Coordinators (CG-SLC for UG and PG)