NIE IEEE Student Branch (NISB) is the IEEE student branch of The National Institute of Engineering, Mysuru. It is currently the third largest and most active student branches in the IEEE Bangalore Section.
We, at NISB, organize and host a wide range of technical workshops and events. We have our odd semester fest ADROIT and even semester fest ANKURA. Electronika, IEEE Programming League (IPL) are few of our signature events. NISB conducts various kinds of workshops, seminars, webinars, technical talks, competitions, hackathons, and events throughout the semester to help its members become well rounded in the various emerging technology.
Apart from these, NISB also has unique practices like
- Industrial Visits – previously visited companies include Nokia, Dell EMC and Cisco
- Focus Groups
- Computer Society Weekly Meet ups
- Women in Engineering Weekly Meet ups
- Social Initiative, Dhriti
- NISB Publications –
- MANAS I and II – NISB’s Odd and Even semester Newsletters
- JIJNASA – NISB’s Annual Magazine
To know more about NISB Click Here
Students of NISB at the Social Initiative event, Dhriti
IEEE has many societies under its umbrella. One of its largest and most active societies is the IEEE Computer Society. NISB began its Computer Society chapter two years ago, with only 15 members and currently has a whopping figure of 60 members. Through NISB, IEEE students of NIE can take up student membership for the Computer Society. NIE IEEE CS has its own technical fest called “Rubix”.Computer Society Member Benefits:
- Access to exclusive resources at computer.org
- Volunteering opportunities at IEEE Computer Society events.
- Discounts at Computer Society events at college level.
- Computer Society Weekly Meet ups.
- Major and minor projects.
- Events to enhance knowledge and explore various technical fields.
- Proper teamwork and networking through which ideas are shared and brainstormed.
- Hard work and raw passion for technology.
Under IEEE Power & Energy Society (PES) Bangalore Chapter, a well-established IEEE Power & Energy Society (PES) Student Chapter has been running in the department of Electrical & Electronics Engineering since 2018. IEEE Power & Energy Society (PES) provides the world’s largest forum for sharing the latest technological developments in the electric power industry, for developing standards that guide development and construction of equipment and systems, and for educating members in the industry and general public. Members of PES are leaders in the field, and they, along with their employers, derive substantial benefits from involvement with this unique and outstanding association. Various activities are coordinated often under the student chapter, which enhance students’ skills and knowledge. To bridge the gap between Academia and Industry, activities like Industry – Academia Conclave were also conducted
IEEE Women in Engineering (WIE) is one of the largest international professional organizations dedicated to promoting women engineers and scientists, and inspiring girls around the world to follow their academic interests to a career in engineering. The IEEE Women in Engineering Affinity Group at the NISB was formed on 13th April 2015. NIE IEEE WIE has its own technical fest called “Inspiro”.
WIE Membership Benefits
- Access to the electronic WIE Membership Directory.
- Monthly WIE electronic newsletter which contains career information, reports on WIE and Affinity Group activities, IEEE news, and more.
- Opportunities to network, volunteer, and participate in local WIE activities.
IEEE WIE Strives to
- Recognize the outstanding achievements of women in the stream of engineering through IEEE Award nominations.
- Organize receptions at major technical conferences to enhance networking and to promote membership in WIE.
- Advocate women in leadership roles in IEEE governance and career advancement for women in the profession.
- Provide assistance with the formation of new WIE Affinity Groups and support ongoing activities.
- Promote IEEE member grade advancement for women to the membership grades of Senior member and Fellow.
- Facilitate the development of programs and activities that promote the entry into and retention of women in engineering programs.
Administer the IEEE Student-Teacher and Research Engineer/Scientist (STAR) Program to mentor young women in junior and high schools.
Upcoming chapter of NISB
With a motive to expand the NISB and also to foster technological innovation and excellence, a new chapter Circuits and System Society will soon be a part of NISB. CAS society will be working with an aim to progress and impart the knowledge of circuits and systems to the students such that the interdisciplinary essentials can be highlighted.
Awards and Accolades
Having been active for over two decades since its inception in 1999, it has been honoured and humbled with numerous awards and accolades over time, which include
- Best Student Branch – 2011
- Outstanding Student Branch – 2013
- Best Branch Counsellor – 2013
- Best Large Student Branch – 2015
- Outstanding Large Student Branch – 2018
- Top 3 in IEEE Student Membership Count – 2018 & 2019
Members of NISB receiving the Outstanding Large Student Branch award – 2018
NISB also conducts Industrial visits for students to provide an insight regarding the practical working environment of companies with an intention to have a successful professional career.
Some of the companies or organization being visited is