Internal Quality Assurance Cell
The work of the IQAC is the first step towards internalization and institutionalization of quality enhancement initiatives. Its success depends upon the sense of belongingness and participation in all the constituents of the institution. It will not be yet another hierarchical structure or a record-keeping exercise in the institution. It will be a facilitative and participative voluntary system/unit/organ of the institution. It has the potential to become a vehicle for ushering in quality enhancement by working out planned interventionist strategies by IQAC to remove deficiencies and enhance quality like the “Quality Circles” in industries. The mandate given to IQAC is to put in place processes for improving the standards across all academic programmes in the college.
IQAC – Vision
- To ensure quality culture as the prime concern for the Higher Education Institutions through institutionalizing and internalizing all the initiatives taken with internal and external support.
The University Grants Commission (UGC) has issued guidelines in the year 2012 for establishment and monitoring of Internal Quality Assurance Cells (IQACs) in higher educational institutions (HEIs). IQAC has to establish an internal mechanism for sustenance, assurance and enhancement of the quality culture of education imparted by HEIs. It is gratifying to note that NIE established IQAC in the year 2010, well before UGC made it mandatory for HEIs.
The major goals are:
- To develop a quality system for conscious, consistent and catalytic programmed action to improve the academic and administrative performance of the College
- To promote measures for institutional functioning towards quality enhancement through Internalization of quality culture and institutionalization of best practices.
IQAC shall evolve mechanisms and procedures for
- Ensuring timely, efficient and progressive performance of academic, administrative and financial tasks;
- Relevant and quality academic/ research programmes;
- Equitable access to and affordability of academic programmes for various sections of society;
- Optimization and integration of modern methods of teaching and learning;
- The credibility of assessment and evaluation process;
- Ensuring the adequacy, maintenance and proper allocation of support structure and services;
- Sharing of research findings and networking with other institutions in India and abroad.
The main functions of IQAC at NIE are:
- To develop and apply quality benchmarks/parameters for various academic activities of the college
- To facilitate the creation of a learner-centric environment conducive for quality education and faculty maturation to adopt the required knowledge and technology for participatory teaching and learning process
- To arrange for feedback responses from students, parents and other stakeholders on quality related institutional process
- To disseminate information about various quality parameters of higher education
- To organize inter and intra institutional workshops, seminars on quality related themes and promotion of quality circles
- To prepare documents of various programmes/activities of the college, leading to quality improvement
- To act as a nodal agency of the college for coordinating quality related activities including adoption and dissemination of good practices
- To develop and maintain institutional database through MIS for the purpose of maintaining/enhancing the institutional quality
- Periodical conduct of Academic and Administrative Audit and its follow-up
- Preparation and submission of the Annual Quality Assurance Report (AQAR) as per guidelines and parameters of NAAC.
IQAC will facilitate / contribute to
- Ensure clarity and focus in institutional functioning towards quality enhancement;
- Ensure internalization of the quality culture;
- Ensure enhancement and coordination among various activities of the institution and institutionalize all good practices;
- Provide a sound basis for decision-making to improve institutional functioning;
- Act as a dynamic system for quality changes in HEIs;
- Build an organised methodology of documentation and internal communication.
Composition of the IQAC
IQAC constituted in our institution under the Chairmanship of the Head of the institution with heads of important academic and administrative units and a few teachers and a few distinguished educationists and representatives of local management and stakeholders.
The composition of the IQAC may be as follows:
- Chairperson: Head of the Institution
- Teachers to represent all level (Three to eight)
- One member from the Management
- Few Senior administrative officers
- One nominee each from local society, Students and Alumni
- One nominee each from Employers /Industrialists/Stakeholders
- One of the senior teachers as the coordinator/Director of the IQAC